(Click "Read More" to Continue)
In this video, a different ideology is put forth. This video posits that Internet users should be divided into “visitors” and “residents”. Visitors are those who use the Internet sparingly, leaving little trace of their presence anywhere online. This population typically think of the Internet as being a powerful tool, but one that is somewhat static; they tend to call upon information and expertise available online, but don’t add their voice to the discussion. Residents, meanwhile, view the Internet as a significant aspect of their daily lives, and tend to have online presences that can be found by others. This group also tends to view the Internet as a communal and inherently social space.
For my part, I don’t really see myself in either category. When I was younger, I was very much in the “resident” category, always on social media and eager to chime into the discussion. Over time, I found myself getting more and more fed up with so-called “experts” who didn’t actually have any expertise whatsoever, and generally found that, while there is a dedicated population of intelligent people with valuable contributions, that group is around 10% of the overall community in any given situation. The other 90%, meanwhile, is mostly a tsunami of “first!” posts, casual racism, sexism, and/or homophobia, people who get all of their information from Fox News, and people who may well be powerfully insane. To that end, I have found myself detaching from my past habit of active contribution, as it is more draining than helpful in many cases.